Wednesday 29 February 2012

5 Favorite and Most Influencial BOOKS in My Life

Next chapter of my lists I want to share. This one is harder, man have I read a lot of great books. I have been taken to endless wonders, to the edge of possibility and further, to the ends of wonder, to all emotional states, to peace and enlightenment, all through books I have read. I have read all my books on printed paper, as in paperback, hardcover or beaten up, falling apart hand me downs.

I love books, my favorite medium for communication. I love books, my most sacred of texts I cherish as I do anything in my life.

Here we go....

1. Dreamspeaker by Anne Cameron, 1978 Clark Irwin and Co. - There are few words that can do this story justice. It is a masterpiece in literature. It made me laugh, cry and scream in anger. I have faced my two headed monster (abandonment if you need to know) and I do everyday. This is the best of the best. God I love this book. 

2. Fifth Sacred Thing by Starhawrk, New York, Bantam, 1993 - There is no greater epic love story, story of peace, painful adventure and magical tale. I can not express the power and importance of this piece of literature. It visualizes and actualizes peaceful and sustainable community and social concepts that have never been put together before in such a powerful and honest story. If you are someone that believes in building community, peaceful resistance, love, sex, openness, magic, relationships and healing imposible wounds, then take this novel for a ride. Beware it will change you.....

3. Siddhartha by Herman Hesse,   There is a point in this story of a young man from India who sets out to find his truth, where he meets Buddha. Siddhartha recognizes Buddha as enlightened and in perfect peace. Siddhartha is invited bu Buddha to fallow him. Siddhartha refuses realizing that he can not find peace and truth in anothers teachings, only in his own path... "I, also, would like to look and smile, sit and walk like that, so free, so worthy, so restrained, so candid, so childlike and mysterious. A man only looks and walks like that when he has conquered his Self. I also will conquer my Self...No other teachings will attract me, since this man's teachings have not done so."   This is just one page of a book with such profound teachings....

4. Grandfather - Tom Brown Jr.,    Tom Brown Jr. has written many books. He has shared a great deal about his journeys and skills and teachings. He often relates stories about Grandfather, A.K.A. Stalking Wolf, his Apache teacher and mentor. In the book Grandfather, Tom shares the most intimate stories of Stalking Wolf. There is debate weather Grandfather ever existed, I could not care less, the stories and passion in this book is breath taking and beautiful.

5. Tao Te Ching - Lao Tsu - Written over 300 years ago, rumor has it that it was written kinda as a joke and kinda as a riddle, this book of poetry is hysterical, poignant, light and challenging. Hotly debated, playful and witty, this is the ULTIMATE bathroom reader.

Honorable mentions, Jitterbug Perfume - Tom Robbins, By The River Piedra I Sat and Wept - Paolo Coelho, Tao of Physics, and soooooo many more.....

No comments:

Post a Comment