Tuesday 6 December 2011

Loneliness

I hear a lot about loneliness and lonesome people. I find it unfortunate that there is such a term or that it is seen as a negative attribute. Wikipedia writes this about loneliness;

- Loneliness is an unpleasant feeling in which a person feels a strong sense of emptiness and solitude resulting from inadequate levels of social relationships. -

Now that's depressing. THe funny thing is that everyone I have ever talked to about loneliness had experienced it a lot. Maybe there is something there we could be looking at. We might crave the touch or company of another, maybe we could give ourselves that attention. If we allowed ourselves to love ourselves then maybe loneliness would not be such a bad thing.

I know this is not an easy thing to do. Having a community is essential. We can still feel lonely in a community. I choose to see loneliness as an indicator that I need to spend more time and energy loving myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment