Last year I declared Feists Metal album the album of 2011 for me.
Now on to this year. Not a strong year for music in my books. Lots of one hits, not a great deal of albums. Not to say there was nothing.
Here is to honoring the art of an entire album.
Here are my top 5.
5. Alabama Shakes - Boys and Girls - This is a strong souther rock album that flows well with only one or two semi weak songs. A great album for late night drinking, poker, dinner making and driving. The most impressive part is the music sounds aged and as if it came from a band that has been making music for many years. Not the truth. This is a young band, young 20's and their first album....
4. Ben Howard - Every Kingdom - Great styling. Strong lyrics. Fluid songs and brilliant lyrics. I really appreciate the rawness of this album, the young but inspired lyrics. Theres a great deal of potential in Ben Howard and this album got my attention.
3. Kalle Mattson - The only thing I can say about this album is that it is too short. Really a brill9iant album and with not a great deal of music coming from Northern Ontario, it is an honor to call these guys local.
2. Voyageur - Kathleen Edwards - The only female singer in the group. I was not a fan so much of the music, it was good not great, it was the vulnerability, the push that Kathleen gave us. It was removed from previous albums, more truth and heart. It was a deep introspection into a changing time for her and a sharing with her new partner, Justin Vernon. The story behind this album (which to me is just as important as the music) puts it as one of the great Canadian albums of all time... for me anyways
1. Tallest Man On Earth - There's No Leaving Now - Stop comparing him to Bob Dylan. Bob was a hack and a copy cat, this album is deep, vulnerable, great guitar/musicianship and a strong flow. It will challenge the folk lovers and push the haters to listen deeper. There are layers upon layers and a whole host of risks that he took to get this sound and this depth. This is a singer song writter that deserves more then comparisons. Im hooked, there is not leaving now.
Thank you to all those who submitted albums into the world. Every chance and risk taken is more then most people take. You are all inspirational and deserve the album of the year.....